Veteran music executive Kevin Liles is being sued by a Jane Doe accusing him of s*xually assaulting her while they worked at Def Jam in the early 2000s.
Liles, renowned for his work with D’Angelo and Young Thug, has been named as a defendant alongside Universal Music Group and Def Jam, Variety has reported. The suit was filed in the New York Supreme Court under the Victims of Gender-Motivated Violence Protection Law. The law was amended in 2022, allowing survivors to file their claims before March 1, 2025.
During the time of the alleged incident, Liles was serving as President of Def Jam and EVP of Island Def Jam. He began his tenure in 1999, though he quit in 2004. Jane Doe claims to have started her stint at the label as an executive assistant to the general manager in and around 1999.
The allegations against renowned music executive Kevin Liles explored:
According to the lawsuit, Kevin Liles repeatedly badgered the woman s*xually between 2000 and 2002, allegedly passing “derogatory and degrading comments based on her gender regarding her body and appearance.” Things eventually reached new heights when he began forcing himself on her.
As reported by XXL Magazine, in one instance that took place in 2002, Kevin Liles allegedly r*ped Doe when she rejected his advances. According to Variety, the suit asserts that UMG and Def Jam “not only knew or should have known” of Liles’ “propensity to commit the aforementioned crimes of violence,” but also allowed it.
Her attorney, Lucas B. Franken, has issued a statement about the lawsuit, per the outlet:
"We commend our client for her determination to seek justice for the sexual abuse she endured, as well as the sheer bravery it took to come forward against a well-known, celebrity figure," he told Variety. "In our lengthy experience defending sexual abuse victims, we have witnessed a common thread and that is that they are often not alone in their abuse. Based on the violent and egregious conduct, we expect that others were also abused, and we hope that they can also come forward to share their experiences and pursue justice."
Per the outlet, Kevin Liles turned 56 this Thursday and is currently celebrating his birthday on a trip to Bali alongside Def Jam founder Russell Simmons. In response to the allegations, Liles said in a statement to Variety:
“I absolutely deny the outrageous claims reported in the press this evening. I wish I could share a more detailed response to this slander, but this is the first I’ve heard of this claim and the anonymous accuser’s attorney shared the lawsuit with gossip influencers and media outlets before it was even posted by the court, so my attorneys and I have not seen the actual lawsuit. After nearly 40 years of service to our culture, I’ve intentionally built a reputation for doing things the right way, treating people the right way, and empowering women. It is a shameful reality that these lies spread so freely. My attorneys and I will fully clear my name, and when we are successful, this anonymous accuser and her attorney will face a defamation lawsuit and every other available legal consequence. These allegations will not derail my mission to be of service to our community, and focus on the greater good and greater God.”
Kevin Liles was previously subjected to allegations in the same vein when, in 2023, he was named as a defendant in a $25 million sexual assault lawsuit. The suit was filed against Trey Songz, whom he manages. As reported by Variety, the Jane Doe of the suit accused Liles of enabling his client's behavior over the years. The suit reached a settlement the following year.

Your perspective matters!
Start the conversation