It looks like the Blade movie, announced at 2019's San Diego Comic Con, has supposedly found a new director. Rumors are circling on the internet that the renowned action director, Chad Stahelski, who is known for his work on the John Wick movies, is the man who will be directing the Marvel movie featuring the Day Walker.
This is a surprising update because many had given up on this movie, considering the number of behind-the-scenes walk-outs and re-workings. One of the shocking walkouts was that of British actor Aaron Pierre, who later joined the DCU in HBO's Lanterns as John Stewart.
Adding to this impression was Welsley Snipes' return as Blade in 2023's Deadpool & Wolverine, who even cheekily referenced the problems with the MCU project.
Where do the new Blade director rumors come from?
The rumors of Chad Stahelski's involvement as the new director of Blade have been around the internet for a while. One of these cases was a story published by World of Reel on March 3, 2025.
Now, another entity has backed up this story. Internet scooper Jeff Sneider, in his March 26, 2025, newsletter The InSneider, also stated that Stahelski is indeed directing the troubled production.
Sneider, in this newsletter, states that Kevin Feige promised to persist with the Blade movie regardless of the obstacles. It revealed that before Stahelski, Marvel was considering True Detective and No Time to Die’s Cary Fukunaga for the director's chair.
But conversations fell apart and Marvel was looking for a director who could align with them. Stahelski supposedly fits Marvel, according to Sneider.
If true, this will win over the trust of several fans because the John Wick movies have been regarded as one of the best action movie franchises of the previous decade. Furthermore Chad Stahelski himself had famously expressed interest in the project last year.
What did Chad Stahelski say about MCU's Blade?
The John Wick director sat down for an interview with Happy Said Confused Podcast's Josh Horowitz last year, and at 22:33, Chad Stahelski had this to say:
“Of all the things out there, I would take a swing at Blade in a second. Like that’s one that gets under my skin, like ‘Ah! I’d take a swing at that one.'”
The director was also very appreciative of his previous collaborations with Marvel Studios. He worked in Captain America: The Winter Soldier as a part of the stunt team and served as the Second-unit director of Captain America: Civil War. Reflecting upon his time with Marvel, Stahelski said:
“Look, I’ve worked for Marvel a bunch and they’ve been very very good to me. Kevin Feige… he’s almost been a bit of a mentor in the capacity of advice he was very happy to give me about how to open up a franchise with John Wick.”
While Chad Stahelski might be suitable for Blade, it is important to note that for now, it is still unconfirmed, and therefore, we should take it as a rumor. It may stay that way for a while. For now, Marvel is focused on Thunderbolts*, scheduled for a May 2, 2025, release.
Love movies? Try our Box Office Game and Movie Grid Game to test your film knowledge and have some fun!

Your perspective matters!
Start the conversation