Another All My Children favorite will return to Pine Valley before AMC goes off the air in September. ABC has now confirmed that Thorsten Kaye (Zach Slater) will reprise his Emmy-nominated role. The confirmation leaves fans wondering one thing: Is Zach alive?
ABC isn't saying, but the network's press release promises that "fans will be riveted as Zach returns to Pine Valley."
"I am very open to going back and finishing this up the right way," Kaye told Soap Opera Digest's Carolyn Hinsey earlier this month before he and AMC execs reached a deal. "I would like to be there when the fat lady sings. I wasn't aware the fat lady was warming up, and frankly I think it's too soon for her to be singing, but here we are."
Kaye's six-year run on All My Children ended last year when his character was killed off in a plane crash. The show made the decision when Kaye announced that he was unable to relocate to Los Angeles and would not make cross-country commutes to report to work.
"I am not the kind of dad who wants to be 3,000 miles away from my kids," Kaye told the New York Daily News shortly after ABC announced that production of All My Children would be moving from New York to Los Angeles in 2009.
At the time, sources revealed that Kaye might have been able to work out a deal to remain on All My Children... but the show reportedly didn't push hard enough to reach that type of agreement.
During his time with All My Children, Kaye received two Daytime Emmy nominations in the Lead Actor category. He has two additional nominations in the same category for his work on Port Charles.
It is unclear at this time when Kaye will make his first on-screen appearance. However, it could come as early as July. It also remains to be seen exactly how Kaye's alter ego will be reintroduced to the canvas: Will Zach appear to Kendall as a spirit, or will he turn out to be very much alive just in time to cause trouble for any Kendall-Griffin pairing?
UPDATE: Kaye is scheduled to first air on Friday, August 5.